【Neely Mansion】- Community Friends Booth!
The Hori Furoba (Bath house)
In 1929 Shigeichi (Jack) and Shimano Hori leased the Neely property and lived in the mansion with their four sons and one daughter.
Jack ran a small dairy and produce farm,but also worked at the F. H. Hogue packing shed in Kent. Shimano’s brother, Jitsuo Otoshi, and his wife lived in a small house on the property and helped with the farm operations.
One traditional aspect of Japanese life on the farm was the furoba, or bath house. Most families in the valley had constructed such a small building for use after a hard day of labor.
The Hori Bath House, constructed in 1930, is a one-story wood frame structure that measures 10 by 16 feet. The interior is divided into two rooms. Frank Hori (son) remembers that an entrance and window were in the first room, and a curtained door lead to the back room with the tub.
According to Mary Hori Nakamura (daughter), “We would wash ourselves outside the tub and rinse ourselves off in the front room, and then go into the back room and get in the tub to soak. The whole family took baths every night.” The bath was used to relax and socialize.
The Hori Beth House still stands behind the Neely Mansion. It has been named a King County Landmark, as it is the only such structure existing in the county today.
It has recently been restored to its former appearance. The Neely Mansion Association received funds from 4Culture and King County to restore the historic building. The interior includes a soaking tub and laundry area exhibit that portrays the 1930s era.