Step 1: Go to a pine (松) forest.
Step 2: Get (命令する) kids to collect pine cones
Step 3: Cut out a cardboard (ダンボール) ring
Step 4: Attach pine cones to ring with wire
Step 5: Attach baby Jesus (doll) in a manger (飼い葉桶)
Step 6: Get (命令する) kids to brush pine cones with white paint
Step 7: Get angry
Step 8: Clean white paint from baby Jesus` face
Step 9: Attach tinsel bow, red berries & flower buds
Step 10: Hang wreath over front door
Step 11: Hope mother-in-law doesn`t notice red berries & flower buds are from her garden.
- Get/Have + 誰か + 動詞 = 誰かに + 動詞 + ように命令する
On Sunday, Gifu Teragoya teachers & staff visited a local orphanage (孤児院) to play games, and hand out toys. The toys were kindly donated (拠出金した) by Teragoya students. Thank you!
This Christmas, kindly think of people less fortunate than yourself.
- "___てくれる" = "kindly ___"
One of our students sent us a postcard from Australia. Thanks!
Look at the stamp. Can you see the price? It costs A$1.80 to send a postcard from Australia to Japan. It only costs 70yen (about 80 cents) to send a postcard from Japan to Australia!
Maybe that`s why my Australian family & friends don`t often write me letters... Yes... Yes, that must be why.
- Send/give/write + 誰か + 何か = send/give/write + 何か to 誰か. Both styles are okay!
I watched this movie on TV last night. It stars John Voight, who is Angelina Jolie`s father. It`s quite old - it was filmed in 1974 - and quite long (130 minutes) but I quite enjoyed it.
John Voight is quite old now - 77 - but he hasn`t quit acting yet. It seems he`s not interested in the quiet life.
- Be careful: Quite クアイト= かなり, なかなか, quit クイット= 辞める, quiet クアイエト = 静か
I went shopping & saw a nice jacket. A lot of clothes nowadays are made in China. Was this jacket made in China? I looked at the label. Hmmm, looks like it was made in the USA; "...USA...New York...American..."
But, finally... "Made in China".
When you read something, it`s a good idea to read to the end - even clothes labels!
- This jacket WAS made in CHINA.
- This jacket IS made of POLYESTER.
- Most jacketS ARE made in China/of polyester.
I was about to teach a class when I saw this group of about 50 people outside. They were about to cross the road, so I quickly got my camera. I took a photo as they crossed the road. The flag says "Autumn Festival." I think they are from a local temple.
- "about" = くらい
- "(be) about to 動詞" = will 動詞 very soon
I heard that vinegar (酢) can remove rust (錆), so I put this rusty pair of thread scissors in a jar of vinegar for a couple of days. Voilà (フランス語 = Look!) ! As you can see, it was very effective.
- To correctly pronounce "V" in English, don`t let your top lip touch your bottom lip - that will make a "B" sound. Only your top teeth should (almost) touch your bottom lip. "V" を正しく発音するためには、上唇と下唇が触れてはいけないのです。触れると "B"の音が出ます。 "V"は上の前歯を少しだけ、下唇に触れるだけでOKです。.
- Remember that `of` is pronounced "OV", not "OFF."
I went camping at Wakasa-wada beach in Fukui. It`s late autumn now, so the campsite was empty. There were no campsite staff, so I didn`t have to pay. Nice.
I didn`t go swimming, but I enjoyed beachcombing (= looking for stuff on the beach). I found these colourful fishing floats, and some other stuff, which I kept.
- stuff ("スタッフ") = 物
- staff ("スターフ") = 部員, 使用人 etc.
I got these small apples from a friend. He said they were for making candy apples, so I thought I would try making candy apples with them, but my son has already eaten one. He told me it tasted like a normal apple. I should hurry up & make candy apples before he eats the other two...
- "They are..." --> He said they were...
- "I think I will..." --> I thought I would...
- "It tastes like..." ---> He told me it tasted like...
On Sunday I took my kids to the airshow at Gifu Air Base in Kakamigahara. First we looked at the planes parked in the hangars & on the runway. Then we watched some of them flying past & overhead. Next we had lunch, and finally we looked at the souvenir (土産) stalls (屋台). My kids wanted to pick up & play with all the toys in the stalls. I had to watch them carefully.
- look at + 動いていない物 (photo, map, house etc.)
- watch + 動いている物 (movie, football, kids playing, etc.)